The Short List
The three things that I want most are:
- people to go fishing with me
- people to play board games with me
- people to introduce me to new restaurants that I haven't eaten at before.
- Ninja Foodi Accessories:
- Fitbit Charge 4
- Or Fitbit Inspire
Games (roughly in order of interest):
- Catan-Treasures,Dragons & Adventures
- Catan Logic Puzzle
- Catan Puzzle Book
- Helpers of Catan
- Catan Scenarios - Crop Trust
- Fishermen of Catan - looks like the only way I'm ever getting this is if I find pictures on the internet, and make my own.
- Magic Maze.
- Railroad Ink Note: comes in two versions - Red and Blue, a bundle of both would be fantastic!
Renegade Or at Amazon- Appears to have completely vanished from everywhere except ebay, where it's ridiculously priced.
- micropolis Used to be available lots of places, but appears to be only available from the publisher these days...
- Agricola: All creatures big and small - Big Box edition
- Space Cadets
- Wood - small pieces of any interesting looking hardwood. Anything nicer than simple plywood would make me happy.
- Pipe clamp (you need at least two of these to make them useful)
- 1-2-3 blocks
- Woodworking stuff - guide at 731Woodworks. Particularly: clamps, bench cookies, wood (warning: not all of his links go to Amazon.)
- Books from Make: Tips, 3D Carving, CNC, Musical Instruments, DiResta, pioneers
- Books by David Piccuto
- Spring Clamps come in various sizes, 6" is probably the most common
- Clamping Squares come in various sizes, any of the three larger sizes will be very useful!
- Center Punch
The Real Dream:
When I actually get control of a table saw:
In a dream:
- 3D printer filament - Black, white, wood, or, any color that strikes your fancy (I'm still learning)
- I need one Raspberry Pi 4 to use as a treadmill computer.
- I have a project in mind that requires high quality audio
EN-EL25 Battery for Nikon Z50, or equivalent, or two pack, or two pack with charger
- Remote Shutter Release for Nikon z50
- I need a new keyboard and mouse
- Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Treble Hooks size #6, should come in a bulk pack of like 20... or more (part number L394, but they can be hard to find...)
- FinMan line cutter tool
- Yo-Zuri Snap Beans (very small fishing lures for pan fishing) are available at Cabelas, Amazon, and elsewhere... "Perch", and "Crawfish" colors are hot around here.
- Johnson Beetle Spin lure
- I found an interesting article on using a "Kalin's Worm Threader" for bluegill fishing with artificial worms.
- I'm always in need of thin pencil bobbers. Lately, I've been using up the "slip bobber" kind...
- I've been looking at fishing lights (lights that float, or are submerged beneath a float), but I haven't picked out a specific one that I'm stuck on yet.
- I've been looking at worm boxes. I've got a small one, but it really needs bedding, worm food, and worms... Or maybe a bigger one.
- Lego - Grand Piano
- Lego - ISS
- Lego - Saturn V
Lego - Space Shuttle Discovery
- Lego - Passenger Train
- Lego - Freight Train
- Malka Older - Infomocracy; Null States; State Techtonics (Trilogy)
- John Scalzi - Unlocked; Lock In; Head On (Trilogy)
Ann Leckie - Ancillary Sword; Ancillary Justice; Ancillary Mercy (Trilogy)
- Cixin Liu / Ken Liu - The Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest, Death’s End (Trilogy)
- Seanan McGuire - The Wayward Children Series - (Every Heart a Doorway, Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Beneath the Sugar Sky, In An Absent Dream, Come Tumbling Down)
- Lois McMaster Bujold - World of the Five Gods series (The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, The Hallowed Hunt, Penric's Demon, Penric and the Shaman, Penric’s Mission, Penric's Fox, Mira's Last Dance, The Prisoner of Limnos, The Orphans of Raspay) (Because)
- Not SFF
- Captain Joshua Slocum - Sailing Alone Around the World (1900)
- Peter Matthiessen - The Snow Leopard (1978)
- Leslie Marmon Silko - Ceremony
- Cormac McCarthy - All the Pretty Horses
- Daniel Defoe - The Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner
- Herman Melville - Moby Dick, or the Whale
- Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
- Ernest Hemingway - In Our Time
- William Faulkner - Go Down, Moses
- Sheridan Anderson - Curtis Creek Manifesto
- Russell Chatham - Silent Seasons: 21 Fishing Stories
- Eugen Herrigel - Zen in the Art of Archery
- Bradford Angier - How to Stay Alive in the Woods
- Alex Honnold with David Roberts - Alone on the Wall(2015)
- Amanda Padoan and Peter Zuckerman - Buried in the Sky: The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2’s Deadliest Day (2012)
- Lynn Hill - Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World (2002)
- Alan Weisman - The World Without Us (2007)
- David George Haskell - The Songs of Trees: Stories from Nature’s Great Connectors (2018)
- Elena Passarello - Animals Strike Curious Poses (2017)
- Carrot Quinn - Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart (2015)
- Alex Hutchinson - Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance (2018)
- Florence Williams - The Nature Fix (2017)
- David Quammen - Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic (2012)
- Richard Louv - The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder (2011)
- Kirk Wallace Johnson - The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century (2018)
- Michael Finkel - The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit (2018)
- Mark Sundeen - The Unsettlers: In Search of the Good Life in Today’s America (2017)
- Jessica Bruder - Nomadland: Surviving America in the 21st Century (2017)
(Roughly in order of importance, but not necessarily price):
- Fold & Stow Plug-in Cart - 80047001
- Gear Bucket-Deep - 71704021
- Gear Bucket-3 pack - 71706001
- H-Crate (Or at REI) - 72020088
- H-Crate Soft Cover - 72020097
- Rectangular Twist and Seal Hatch Kit - 71707003
- Rectangular Bucket - 71709002
- MirageDrive Carry Bag - 80024
- MirageDrive Leash Kit
- Livewell - 72020077
- David Crowder - I Know a Ghost
- Emerson Plays Emerson
- Planet Earth series by BC
The Longer List
Is now down at the bottom of the page... and is slightly out of date.
The Dream List
- I'd like to go back to the Boundary Waters and canoe for a week.
- I'd like to go fishing in Canada
- I'd like to see a concert in Red Rocks Amphitheater
- I'd like to see a musical on Broadway
- I'd like to hike down into the Grand Canyon
- I'd like to see Alaska
- I'd like to return to Hawaii
- I'd like to have another "Catan Tournament"
- I'd like to climb Mt. Princeton
Pages of things I've noted for others:
- A page FromDadToMom
- A page FromDadToTom
- A page FromDadToJenny
- A page FromDadToAnthony
- A page FromDadToJon
- A page FromDadToJamey
Links to other pages
- Information about Editing Our Wiki.
- I should do better at collecting Fishing Information.
- I moved some stuff to a page of random rants.
- I study the stock market a bit, so here are some Stock Market Links.
- This is another page of specific stock market tactic research: SwingTrading
- I've got a page where I'm collecting links to onlineEducation.
- Computer related things that I want to do later: Dads To Do List
- A list of music related web sites: MusicSites
- Info about CamerasNLenses
- There's also DadsTemporaryJunkList
- I also have an inexhaustible backlog of Links To Read
- Which need to migrate to a list of Curated Links
- I'm forever and always looking for info on how to repair things, so I have Dad's Repair Research Links
- I am keeping a list of projects that I might actually do some day when I'm not continuously running after my children: Pie-in-the-sky Projects
- I'm considering digitizing our family history using one of the media digitizing services.
I miss hiking - http://americanhiking.org.
Here's the short list.
- SF Series: Blindsight, Echopraxia - Peter Watts
- SF Series: Jumper, Reflex, Impulse, Griffin's Story, Exo - Steven Gould
- Apparently, Christopher (J.R.R.'s son) pulled together twelve volumes of the History of Middle Earth.
- Non-Fic Book: Gravity's Engines - Caleb Scharf
The longer list:
- Pencil bobbers
- pan fish hooks
- split shot weights
- a medium sized floating muskie lure
- Fishing: Spinner baits
- Fishing: Jig heads, plain or painted, smaller sizes (like 1/16 or 1/32)
science fiction books
- John Birmingham - Angels of Vengeance (third in a series, I just read the first two that someone gave me for Christmas!)
- Paolo Bacigalupi - Shipbreaker
- Paolo Bacigalupi - The Drowned Cities
- Iain M. Banks - The Player of Games (with, or without any of the other nine books in "The Culture" series)
- Elizabeth Bear - All the Windwracked Stars; By the Mountain Bound; The Sea Thy Mistress
- Holly Black - Red Glove and Black Heart
- Ben Bova - Transhuman
- Jessica Brody - Unremembered
- M. M. Buckner - Gravity Pilot
- Orson Scott Card - The Lost Gate
- Adam Christopher - The Burning Dark
- S.D. Crockett - After the Snow
- Justin Cronin - The Passage
- A.M. Dellamonica - Indigo Blue; Blue Magic
- Cory Doctorow - Homeland
- Sharon Lynn Fisher - The Ophelia Prophecy
- William Gibson - The Peripheral
- David S. Goyer and Michael Cassutt - Heaven's War
- David S. Goyer and Michael Cassutt - Heaven’s Shadow
- Mira Grant - Feed
- Karen Healey - Guardian of the Dead
- Jim C. Hines - Libriomancer
- Nina Kiriki Hoffman - A Fistful of Sky
- Kasuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
- Kij Johnson - At the Mouth of the River of Bees
- Guy Gavriel Kay - Under Heaven
- Guy Gavriel Kay - River of Stars
- Yoon Ha Lee - Conservation of Shadows
- Ursula K. LeGuin - Where On Earth
- Ursula K. LeGuin - Outer Space, Inner Lands
- Ursula K. Le Guin - The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume One: Where on Earth
- Ursula K. Le Guin - The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands
- Eric C. Leuthardt - Red Devil 4
- M.J. Locke - Up Against It
- Lynne Matson - Nil
- Tim Maughan - Paintwork
- China Mieville - The City and the City
- China Mieville - Railsea
- China Mieville - Embassytown
- Elizabeth Moon - The Speed of Dark
- Chris Moriarty - Spin State, Spin Control, Ghost Spin
- Naomi Novik - Uprooted
- Susan Palwick - Shelter
- William Campbell Powell - Expiration Day
- Douglas Preston - The Kraken Project
- Hannu Rajaniemi - The Fractal Prince
- Nathaniel Rich - Odds Against Tomorrow
- Geoff Ryman - Air
- Brandon Sanderson - The Rithmatist
- Rober J. Sawyer - WWW:Wonder
- Karl Schroeder - Lockstep
- Karl Schroeder - Lady of Mazes
- Alison Sinclair - Cavalcade
- Brian Francis Slattery - Lost Everything
- Bruce Sterling - Islands in the Net
- Charles Stross - Accelerando
- Charles Stross - Halting State
- Charles Stross - Rule 34
- Michael R. Underwood - Geekomancy
- Greg VanEekhout - The Boy at the End of the World
- Carrie Vaughn - Steel
- Carrie Vaughn - Voices of Dragons
- Vernor Vinge - Marooned In Real Time
- Vernor Vinge - A Fire Upon the Deep
- Peter Watts - Blindsight
- Fran Wilde - Updraft, Cloudbound, Horizon
- Robert Charles Wilson - Spin; Axis; Vortex (a trilogy)
- Daniel H. Wilson - Robopocalypse
- Rick Yancey - The 5th Wave
- V.M. Zito - Return Man
- Robert Zubrin - Mars Direct: Space Exploration, the Red Planet, and the Human Future
- Scott Westerfield -
zeroes, swarm, nexus
- Daniel H. Wilson - Robopocalypse; Robogenesis
This is a list of books that is supposed to "cure Hunger Games withdrawal symptoms":
- Lauren Oliver - Delirium; Pandemonium
- Anna Carey - Eve
- Tahereh Mafi - Shatter Me
- Veronica Roth - Divergent; Insurgent
- Ally Condie - Matched; Crossed
- Ann Aguirre - Enclave
- Paolo Bacigalupi - Shipbreaker
- Paolo Bacigalupi - The Drowned Cities
- Dan Wells - Partials
- Patrick Ness - The Chaos Walking Trilogy
- Maggie Stiefvater - Scorpio Races
- Moira Young - Blood Red Road
This is a list of "Debut SF Novels that 'Changed the World'". I have read the ones in red. I would like to read the ones in BLACK.
- Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley
- The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
- Chthon by Piers Anthony
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Neuromancer by William Gibson
- The Cipher by Kathe Koja
- Sarah Canary by Karen Jay Fowler
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling (Note: I would like to read all seven of these, one right after another...)
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
This is a mixed list of beautifully leather bound books, mostly classics, but some newer stuff. Most notably the Gaiman, that I would really love to have on my shelf...
Books - Not SF
These were read by Dick Miller's small group book discussion group:
- Ron Hall/Denver Moore - Same Kind of Different As Me
- Barbara Ehrenriech - Nickel and Dimed
- Max Lucado - Fearless
- William Buckley - Nearer, My God
- Jim Daly - Stronger
- Eric Metaxis - Amazing Grace: William Wilburforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery
- Eric Metaxis - Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
- Book: Clockwork Angels - Kevin J. Anderson + CD: Clockwork Angels - Rush
- Kurt Hanks & Larry Belliston - Rapid Viz
- Shadowfolds book, by Jeff Rutzky and Chris Palmer
- anything by Michio Kaku (I am particularly interested in everything he's written since 2006, starting with "Parallel Worlds")
- Arduino Cookbook - Michael Margolis
- The Boy Mechanic by the Editors of Popular Mechanics (ISBN: 1-58816-509-4)
Nothing lives here at the moment...
Do they even publish magazines any more?
- circuit cellar
- nuts and volts
- Games (and World of Games)
This section is woefully out of date... I still don't have any of the following, but they've lost a bit of their luster over the years.
- Far East Family Band
- The Cave Down To the Earth
- Parallel World
These are available on www.marcbonilla.com:
- The Keith Emerson Band Featuring Marc Bonilla
- Moscow (DVD)
- The Three Fates Project (Available at the end of August 2012)
- zulus on the ramparts
- Constellations: The Game of Stargazing and the Night Sky
- space hulk: death angel
- Ex Libris
- Mage Knight
- Raiders of the North Sea
- Small World
- Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
- The animusic 1 and 2 videos are currently on sale in a combo pack!!!
Note, lenses can be significantly cheaper in the nikonusa.com outlet when refurbished.
- Portrait Lenses
- specialty Lenses:
- Wide: Nikkor Z 28mm F/2.8
- Some day, in a dream...
These are the old mounting style. They work with my new camera, using the FTZ adapter:
- Portrait Lenses
Std (half body): Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G (best) or Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G (better) Close up(heads): Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4G (too much money) or Nikkor AF-S 85mm f1.8D (slightly more realistic price) Tall (full body): Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.4G (too much money) or Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G (more realistic price)
- specialty Lenses:
Close up: Nikkor AF-S DX Micro 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Fish Eye: Nikkor AF DX Fisheye 10.5mm f/2.8G ED (lots of money new)
- Some day, in a dream...
Nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR (better)
Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR (best)
Ok, so the really hot item right now is the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I don't really need any of them right at the moment.
- However, there IS an audio interface that plugs in to the Raspberry Pi that I've bee nwatching... Just have to remember the name of it.
- And the book: Getting Started With Arduino
- Can be added to the Kit: Getting Started with Arduino Kit for $10 (in the accessories section).
- Book: Arduino Bots and Gadgets by Kimmo Karvinen and Tero Karvinen
- The ultimate Microcontroller Pack is pricy, but it would be a really great jump start (with the Arduino Uno for a big discount as a bundle)
- Here's another kit that would be really fun to build.
Nothing here right now...